I started by securing the main and rear spars to the fuselage. The main spars were torqued in increments and in between I tapped the
bolt heads with a block of wood and mallet. This was to ensure the bolts were completely seated. Once striking with the mallet had no
effect on the torque, I went to final spec and checked it twice.
Next I pulled my wiring through and completed the fuselage connections. I had most of it on a connector or terminal block
except for the strobe wires which run directly to the tailcone. The fuel sender needed it's own snap bushing through the fuselage because it
is the only wire in front of the main spar. All the others come through behind the main spar. Then I installed the fuel tank output fuel lines.
I'm not sure if I like the bends I made yet and have to measure the outside diameter of the pipe before I decide.
Installation and rigging of the flaps was quite time consuming. Once mounted at the hinges with the proper hardware, the flaps
are swung and hand filed to not interfere with the fuselage. This involved quite a bit of hand carving of the flaps to fit. I made a 0.060" gap.
Next was rigging the flaps. The plans say to put both the flaps against the full up stops and call that 3 degrees up. Unfortunately full up on
my flaps was -4.3 degrees left and -4.0 degrees right flap. I also have the flap positioning system so from this setting I was able to measure
the error at the 0, 15 and 30 degree positions. Adjustment of the flap pushrod has a greater effect on the small deflections and the large and
after several adjustments I came quite close to the specifications. My final numbers are in the right most column of the table below along with
an explanation of all the different flap numbers and deflections that you will encounter as you research this section.
from Full Up
|Angle to Wing||My Final|
|Up(Reflex)||0 deg||-3 deg||-3.9 deg||Vne|
|Trail||3 deg||0 deg||0.2 deg||122 kts|
|1/2||18 deg||15 deg||15.5 deg||96 kts|
|Full||33 deg||30 deg||30.7 deg||87 kts|
To set the ailerons, insert the bellcrank jigs onto the bell crank to set the neutral position. The plans seemed to think they
supplied two of them but I could only find one and had to make a second one. Then through trial and error, the stick to wing push rod length is set
to give a vertical stick position with a neutral aileron bellcrank. Finally the aileron is set even with the flap by adjusting the length of he
bellcrank to aileron pushrod. The pushrod can not be adjusted in position. To adjust you have to lower the flaps, remove the pushrod, adjust the
end fitting and reinstall to test the fit. Very time consuming but I believe it is worth the effort to get this right as the wing tips will be permanently
set to the aileron position later.
Once the ailerons and flaps are positioned, the wingtips can be attached. Each wingtip has 44 screws and requires a nutplate on the
wingtip. The wing itself is dimpled for the screw. The wingtips have a closeout rib that sits opposite the aileron. Once you figure out that the
rib labeled L goes on the right side and the rib labeled R goes on the left side, progress will take place. To position the rib, I held it against the
aileron and measured how far it should sit from the trailing edge. Then I placed it in the wingtip at that distance.
Wing attach took much longer than I thought. A common question I am asked is if the wings are "on". The act of putting them in place and
pounding bolts through takes about 1 hour. The wings are physically on but inoperable at that point. The next 49 hours are spent connecting up
all the wing systems to make the wings do their job. It was quite a lot of work.